Friday, September 13, 2013

The Second Wife

Last Thursday was like most of my days lately. I teach at 8am and again at 4pm. You'd think I could get my Friday class prep done in between but there is always something else that takes precedent. So I usually end up wrapping up my prep for my Friday class Thursday night. Don't judge. This is the way lots of professors end up planning classes they're teaching for the first time.  But my evening prep time was shortened because I was invited to a faculty dinner with a medical program rep. This isn't the kind of invitation you turn down as a new faculty member. And don't get me wrong, I had a great time and really enjoyed dinner, my company, and the conversation.  But I had to text Patrick and tell him whenever I got home from dinner I'd have to go to work in the office. 

Needless to say, I've been feeling really guilty about the long hours I put in, sacrificing time with Patrick on evenings and weekends. And last Thursday night really epitomized this feeling.  So you can imaging my relief when I walked through the door 10 hours after I left that morning, and I saw that the second wife had arrived. Football season started last Thursday night. I don't feel so bad about my long hours, now Patrick has the comforting companionship of his second wife, the NFL. Very few wives will probably agree with me on this, but the football season arrived just in time. 


No comments: