Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New day and a New Year
January 2 seems like a great day to start something new, something different, something that reminds me to be myself amidst all the pressures of the world. Few will probably read this memoir but truly this I am not here to entertain anyone but myself. I am here to open up to myself and that might seem odd as I am putting this out there for the world to see, but I think this will force me to be honest. If it doesn't make sense to you, then you probably shouldn't read any further.

Who am I today? Today I am a recovering runner, cycler, climber, and swimmer. I ran a 15K on November 10th and learned a horribly hard lesson that day at the Rockledge Rumble around Grapevine Lake. NEVER run on an injury..

So nearly 2 months later. I have run 1 mile and just recently started cycling again. Patrick and I cycled a 13 mile road ride yesterday and it felt great. I forgot how invigorating it is to cover miles and miles powered using just what God gave you. To have the wind rush past, the sun rain down, and the cold bite at your ears and toes. My blood pumped hard for the first time in ages and I could feel my calves, glutes, and hamstrings all coming alive after so long a rest. All these elements, combined with the companionship of my best friend reminded me of who I am.
I am a runner.
I am a cycler.
Even when injured.
I am loved by my best friend who just happens to be my husband.

Today I am grateful to be healing and able to ride some distances. Who knows what tomorrow will bring

No comments: