Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Give and Take

Today I healed a little more. I over did it with jogging a few days ago and my hip reared its angry head in protest. I felt like I regressed and was back to the condition I was in 3 weeks ago. But Brett at Lewisville Greater Physical Therapy worked wonders on me. His attention to my injury and time he spent stretching me and using ultrasound on my hip really made a huge difference in the tension in my hip. He let me know that my recover will be what they term as "active." I need to retrain my hip including the tendons and ligaments so that these components gradually become accustomed to the stress and use they receive from running and cycling and everyday use. I'll start out with 5 minutes on a stair master or eliptcal and gradually build up my time as my hip allows without pain. After meeting with him, for the first time since this happened I didn't feel like I was a debilitated athlete. Rather he empowered me to heal and recover and I was so impressed with his knowledge, skill, and professionalism. In addition to all this we could relate and talk with each other as peers and equals because he's a climber too.

So today I am healing and hopeful.

No comments: