Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One Step Closer To Vegan

After posting the Mutts comic yesterday, I began to ponder my own dietary habits. I've only bought eggs labeled free-range and grain-fed for years now, but for the last six months or so I've been eating Eggbeater egg whites that come in a carton. I am convinced the lives of the chickens who produce these egg whites can be no better than the lives of the chickens who produce the standard eggs you buy in the grocery store. In fact, they just might be the same. So, here it is. I'm giving up yet another one of my favorite foods because I just can't stomach the possibility that I'm contributing to the cruel factory farm conditions most chickens are enduring. Having thoughtfully considered my egg consumption, I'm giving serious consideration to giving up eggs entirely. However, maybe not. Only time will tell if I will continue to eat the eggs from free-range, grain-fed chickens, but due to the lack of convenience of these (i.e. I can't easily eat them at work since that's where I eat breakfast), I can't see these eggs coming close to replacing the Eggbeater product I've ignorantly enjoyed for some time. It wasn't that long ago that I awakened and realized that fish and shellfish were just as much of an animal as cattle and chicken, so I'm curious if I'm on the road to an eventual vegan.


Texas vegans however are a seclusive population and very little is known about how they survive in their native habitat.

2 comments:

Jill Brown said...

But if you give up eggs that also means that you have to give up lovely baked goods like cookies and cakes and donuts.

Patrick said...

just take into consideration how far you want to take this. If you are taking eggs completely out of your diet then you are looking at buying vegan friendly pasta, bread and many many other things.