Monday, October 13, 2008

Racing for a Cure

If you haven't read any other post on this blog let me update you on my athletic endeavors. Over the past year I've been training and competing in multiple endurance events, with most of these being triathlons. I love the long hours of training and competing, the hard work they require, and pushing myself to physical and mental exhaustion. I'm pleased to say I have not yet found my limits, so that is why I'm taking my training to the next step. On April 5 of 2009 I will race in the Half Ironman in the Lonestar Triathlon Festival in Galveston, Texas. For those of you unfamiliar with this event it includes a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run.

But for this next race I've taken on an additional challenge beyond the physical demands of training and competing. I've joined the North Texas Team in Training Program on behalf of
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Team in Training (TNT) exists to find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma and to provide financial support to the patients and their families during treatment. TNT is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s largest fund-raising program, bringing in over 73 million dollars in the past year alone. Each team member in the program pledges to raise a certain amount of money during the 4-5 months they train for their event and 75% of every dollar spent at the Society goes to research, patient services, and education. My goal is to raise $2,900 for TNT.

As a member of TNT I am part of an actual team of triathletes training for the same event. We have three workouts a week together, which include long brick days on Saturdays and open water swims. TNT also provides us with experienced coaches, multiple informational clinics (such as nutrition, bike sizing, energy gel taste testings, and open water swim tactics), gear to train in and compete in, travel to and from the event, the race entry, pre and post race parties, and best of all cheers and support while you race. I felt the need to do this because I've trained for over a year for my own personal enjoyment; I feel now is the time to sacrifice and take part in a greater purpose and join a cause that helps save lives. I've been blessed with health, physical fitness, and spare time to train so I feel I can really make use of these blessings to help others by taking part in this cause.

I now need to tell everyone I know and people I don't know about my new commitment and cause and humbly ask for their support. I have the attitude that I'm am simply providing others a means to make donations that they can have assurance will make a difference in the lives of those suffering from blood cancer. I know from personal experience, that people want to help but often just don't know how and want to know what they do matters.

All donations are tax-deductible and no donation is too small. If you'd like to support my participation in TNT and help advance the cause of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is to visit my
TNT website and make an online donation.

If you have already contributed I thank you from the bottom of my heart and encourage you to keep visiting this blog for updates on my training. I'll post pictures, workouts, and stories of what exactly one thinks about during a 5 hour workout. I also plan on posting any funny stories or useful training and triathlon tips I come across over the next 5 months.

P.S. Don't keep me a secret. Tell your friends and family about my participation in TNT and send them the link to my TNT website (http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/lstri09/kstoddard) or this blog (www.todayiwillbeme.blogspot.com).

No comments: